Date of Course: Monday 6th April to Thursday 9th April 2020 – 10am to 1.30pm
Important: Please be aware that children enrolling on this workshop should understand how to do the following:
- Use grammar effectively – this includes understanding subject-verb agreement, verb tenses, sentence construction and word classes.
- Punctuate sentences – how to use commas, full stops, capital letters and semi-colons.
This workshop aims to provide children with all of the skills they will need to create an imaginative and impressive composition. Our classes are held in small groups with both independent tasks and exciting group activities to ensure that all children remain focused. There will be homework set during the course.
The course is aimed at those sitting independent school examinations in Autumn 2020 and January 2021.
Class size are typically up to 16. There will be two tutors per class.
The course will include:
- Story Planning – how to develop ideas, characters and settings.
- Literary Techniques – how to introduce descriptive devices and figurative language into stories.
- Identifying different question styles including non-fiction such as diary entries, letter writing, articles etc, and how to respond to different styles of question.
- Dialogue – how to introduce and punctuate dialogue effectively.
- Vocabulary – the importance of powerful verbs and adjectives in any sentence
Children will be taught:
- Elements of a good essay
- Mood and atmosphere
- Voice and cohesion
- Writing to persuade and argue
- Formal and informal writing
- Continuing an extract
- Using stimulus (e.g. pictures)
Children will receive homework and handouts and there will be a timed essay included.
Maths Revision Course – 14th to 17th April – 2.00pm to 6pm